the art of dreaming

I feel completely grateful that i fall into the category of individuals who not only have extremely vivid dreams, but also retain them. Many mornings i wake up having trouble separating reality from my dream land. At times i am so engulfed in my emotional subconscious thoughts that i wake myself up heavily breathing, crying, full of inspiration, laughing, beaming with happiness etc.

da Vinci once pondered....“Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?”


I have believed that I had the most fantastic trip, night out, been transported to Super Mario Land, flew, dreamt in black & white, fell in love, discovered beautiful scenery & imagery, went on a date with Justin Timberlake as well as Zach Morris (in character) & have even had conversations with my dog, Button to name just a few. I've woken up pissed off at boyfriends for things they have done in my dreams... i've searched my phone & purse & room for evidence to help me uncover the truth of dream vs reality... i've lived in my own personal dreamland for what seems like ages.

I absolutely love dreaming.


One can go absolutely anywhere in a dream, be anyone, discover any & every thing. It's incredible... while i was at Florida State i became interested in lucid dreaming & the ability to do so (essentially, but not quite controlling your dreams). I was never able to reach "high lucidity" to change my dream scene or transform the events but am often aware that i am actively dreaming. Anyway, i thought i could share a few tips to help if you struggle to remember your dreams...

Sleep! Naturally, this seems obvious... but, if you are sleep deprived then you are not allowing your brain to fall into a true deep REM sleep where the most active & longest dreams can occur.

Keep a dream journal. keep it close to your slumber sanctuary aka your bed.... write in it every time you recall a dream, even if it's only fragments of your dreams. This will help your brain realize that you are making a conscience attempt to recall your subconscious thoughts.

Talk about your dreams. Share your dreams with your partner, roommate, family, dog or whoever, soon after waking up. In college my roommate & i would crawl into each others beds in the morning to talk about our dreams, i also have done this with my boyfriends over the years & it's one of my most favorite things!

These simple activities will allow you to reflect on your most creative wandering thoughts, & the ability to see the beauty of your dreams is one of the best gifts of life! I gather inspiration constantly from my dreams!!


to quote an incredibly inspirational human being...

“I am against nature. I don’t dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can’t touch with decay.” - Bob Dylan

1 comment

  1. simon and i talk about our dreams every morning when we wake up! i love it, even though lately(for the past 3 months or so) i have been having TERRIBLE dreams and am not sleeping through the night. i wake up EVERY night at least 3 times (usually bc my dreams are so intense) and have the hardest time falling back asleep. :(
    i need a dream catcher!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

hello there, don't be shy - i'd love to hear your thoughts! ♥