thoughts on this historic day for America

I remember precisely where i was nearly ten years ago when the towers fell, of course i do... you probably do too. I was sitting atop a stool in the middle of my Chemistry class in utter shock & disbelief as to what was happening & what it could possibly mean. I sat in front of the television for a week straight, consuming every news program i possibly could, trying to make sense of it all. That was the first time I heard the name Osama Bin Laden, the first time i ever really recall learning about al Qaeda. My heart was aching for America, for all the individuals who just woke up & went to work that day, who boarded an airplane, & thought their day would be another typical Tuesday. America lost nearly 3,000 citizens on that horrific day.

Osama became dubbed America's "most wanted man" after claiming that he was responsible for the attacks through a series of videos obtained & thus began a ten year man hunt for his head. Throughout the years my curiosity grew about the attacks, & reached a tipping point after watching Loose Change (a film that questions the origin of 9/11 while suggesting it may have been planned by the US government). I began to question the media, the government, & lost interest with my childhood dream of becoming a news anchor. Though i can't say with complete certainty exactly what led to the attacks, that doesn't change my stance that it was an atrocious act on the American people. Nor does it affect the sorrow i have towards the lives that were taken that day. My heart goes out to the the families of those people who were helpless & also to the brave individuals in NY who came to their aid, as well as all the passengers aboard each plane. Last night, after i finished watching a movie, I learned Obama would soon be announcing that Bin Laden was dead & in U.S. custody, after being taken down by Navy SEALs while he was in some sort of a fortress a mere 100 yards from a military base in Pakistan.

I have mixed feelings about today. Does that make me less of an American? It bothers me that there are people rejoicing the death of another human being... not only rejoicing, but dancing in the streets in full blown celebration. I remember seeing the images of people in the Middle East giddy in the streets, elated about the attacks on America, & the lives that were consequently lost. I thought it was utterly disgusting, & wondered how those people could act in such a monstrous way. Honestly, i think it's equally as disgusting watching my fellow Americans behave in the same barbarous way, under the notion that one man has been killed.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said "Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." MLK has always been an inspirational man to me, & today, i find this quote especially meaningful.

I don't intend for this post to come off as offensive to anyone, this is just my space to air my thoughts.

2 comments

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The media and government are successful in blinding people to their agenda - and we allow ourselves to be blinded and therefore lose the heart our humanity.

    MLK is possibly the only person I call a 'hero' to me.

    ReplyDelete

hello there, don't be shy - i'd love to hear your thoughts! ♥